Asham Quarry at Downhead was established by hauliers Bill and Ted Evemy of Chantry in 1942. In 1965 the quarry was bought by Hoveringham Ltd, which installed new plant. In 1973 Asham and its neighbour Westdown Quarry became a single unit operated by RH Roadstone Ltd, a joint venture of Hoveringham and Westdown’s owners Redland. The business later came under the ownership of Tarmac, which sold the site to Hanson in 1986.
Barnclose Quarry at Leigh-on-Mendip was opened by Western Trinidad Lake Asphalte Co. (a subsidiary of Limmer & Trinidad Ltd.) in 1931. The company would go on to manufacture blocks of mastic asphalt at the quarry (cast into moulds using a mixture of asphalt and limestone dust). In the late 1940s production of blocks at Barnclose ceased and a purpose built plant with railway sidings opened alongside the Wells to Witham line at Wanstrow. Barnclose was acquired by Hobbs Quarries Ltd in 1968. In 1970 the quarry had a small crushing and screening plant with asphalt plant. By then the older part of the quarry had been abandoned and was flooded with water. The quarry seems to have closed in the 1970s.
Cook’s Wood Quarry was established c.1900 by Seward Charles Gilson of Holcombe to work Vallis Limestone for road material. By 1907 the quarry was also working Quartzitic Sandstone from a quarry at the north end of the site. In 1958 Amey took over Gilsons and acquired Cook’s Wood Quarry. In 1972 Amey was taken over by ARC which thereby acquired Cook’s Wood quarry. The quarry has been inactive since 1989, the company opting to concentrate production at Whatley Quarry.
In December 1904 the Somerset Quarry Company secured a 21 year lease of land at Tadhill, Downhead, on which to work Pyroxene-Andesite at the eastern end of the Silurian Inlier. In 1907 the quarry was linked by rail to sidings at Cranmore Station when the Waterlip Tramway was extended to Downhead. Following the building of the line plant was erected at the quarry, and new workings opened at a higher level. By 1908 the business was reported to be in the hands of the Somerset Basalt Stone Company. At the end of World War I the war this business was operating the quarry with a workforce of around 20 men. By 1925 the quarry had been returned to the Somerset Quarry Co., which in that year worked it only intermittently with a workforce of nine men. The quarry closed in 1925, but the remains of some structures and lengths of narrow gauge track still survive in the plant area.
Dulcote GWR Quarry was established in 1874 by the Great Western Railway for the manufacture of ballast for that company. The quarry closed in the 1930s and its workings were later incorporated into those of the neighbouring Dulcote Quarry of Foster Yeoman Ltd.
Dulcote Quarry supplied stone for local roads in the 19th century, and in 1898 was leased to John Wainwright of Shepton Mallet. In 1919 Wainwright was still listed as operator of the quarry, but by 1921 it was being worked on behalf of Wells Rural District Council by a contractor. In 1923 Tudway leased the quarry to Foster Yeoman Ltd, which installed plant and railway sidings. In the 1950s the quarry was redeveloped and by 1960s was one of the most productive in the Mendips. In the 1960s the quarry was closed for a time, but in the 1980s re-opened. It finally closed in the 1990s and part of the site is now used as a recycling centre.
Fairy Cave Quarry was established around 1941 by the Mendip Concrete Company of Leigh-on-Mendip, which changed its name to Mendip Stone & Concrete after diversifying into quarrying. At some point in the mid-1940s the business was taken over by Neuchatel Asphalte Ltd., which was listed as operating the quarry in 1948. New plant was erected in 1960 and three years later it was taken over by the Hobbs Group. Following the death of Robert Hobbs in 1982 his quarry business was sold to housebuilder Wimpey. Following the takeover, the Hobbs quarries were run by a subsidiary company, Wimpey Hobbs Ltd., based in Nailsea. Extraction had ceased by 1986.
In 1930 the Halecombe Quarry was opened by the Leigh-on-Mendip Quarry Company on a field close to that company's existing Leigh Quarry. Halecombe soon became the business's main quarry, employing 43 of its 62 man workforce. The company’s fortunes then began to decline and by the end of 1935 it had gone out of business. By 1939 the quarry was being worked by the Halecombe Quarry Co., which was still operating the quarry when its IDO was granted in 1948. In 1967 it was taken over by Hobbs Quarries Ltd, and in 1982 passed to Wimpey Hobbs. In 1995 Tarmac and Wimpey announced an asset swap under which Halecombe passed to Tarmac. The quarry is still worked by Tarmac and produces around 80 cubic meters of concrete, 1,200 tonnes of asphalt 2,500 tonnes of aggregate per day. Annual production of all stone products is typically between 500,000 to 700,000 tonnes per year with an annual maximum limit of 900,000 tonnes.
Highcroft Quarry at Ashwick was established by Henry Matthews c.1923. By 1930 Highcroft was almost two acres in extent and had a crushing plant, screens and a tramway from the face. In 1928 Matthews business became a private limited company under the name of Henry Matthews & Son (Quarry Owners) Ltd. It was later taken over by Anglo American Asphalte (Sales) Ltd., and eventually Aggregate Industries. The quarry closed in the 1990s.
In 1884 there was a lime kiln on the site which came to be known as Hillier’s Quarry at Nunney. By the 1890s Frank Hillier of Cloford was landlord of the Bear Inn, Holwell, but also running a lime burning business in the quarry. Following Frank's death in 1913 his sons Lambert and Victor took over the running of the business, and by 1925 were employing eight men at their "Mendip Limestone Works". Lambert Hillier died in 1926, but his younger brother Victor continued to run the quarry with a handful of men until the mid-1930s, when it was acquired by the Coleman family.
Holwell Quarry was operated from the early 1920s by George Coleman of Nunney and his sons. In 1928 new plant was erected by Frederick Parker Ltd. of Leicester. In the mid-1930s Coleman's acquired nearby Hillier's Quarry, and at some point also took over Creese’s Quarry on the south side of the A361. In 1965 the business was sold to English China Clays, which re-equipped the quarry. In 1994 the ownership of the quarry passed to Camas plc, and then to Aggregate Industries. In 2010 blasting ceased at Holwell, but the coating plant at the quarry continues to be used.
Lime Kiln Hill Quarry was established at Mells in 1928 by F. J. (Jack) Witcombe of Mells. In 1929 he ordered plant for the quarry from Samuel Pegg & Son of Leicester (later Pegson). In 1932 Cecil Evemy, a younger brother of local hauliers Bill and Ted Evemy, entered the business, which was registered as Lime Kiln Hill Stone Quarries on 17 December that year. The main site is hemmed in by roads on all sides and was virtually worked out in the 1970s. Extraction stopped in 1989.
Merehead Quarry (now Torr Works) was established by the Leigh-on-Mendip Quarry Co. in the early 1930s. It was then operated by the Merehead Quarry Co. and Limmer and Trinidad, before being bought by Foster yeoman in 1959. In 1970 the quarry's name was changed to Torr Works. Since 2006 it has been operated by Aggregate Industries.
Moons Hill Quarry at Stoke St Michael was established in the 1870s to work the recently discovered volcanic rocks (Pyroxene-Andesite) of the Silurian Inlier. In 1880 the quarry was let by the Knatchbull family to W. B. Roberts, and after his death in 1889 by Tribe, Clarke & Co. of Bristol. In 1898 Moons Hill was leased by John Wainwright & Co., which bought the quarry in 1899 for £1,000. In 1979 the company re-opened nearby Sunnyhill Quarry (closed 1909), and in 1986 bought neighbouring Stoke Quarry.
Stoke Lane Quarry was established in 1941 by Sam Treasure of Stoke St Michael. At first the quarry produced block stone for use in the construction of wartime airfields. After the war a crushing and screening plant was supplied and erected by Ralph Blatchford & Co. of Midsomer Norton, this including a second-hand 25 x 16 inch Pegson crusher and a Parker Kubit granulator. In 1963 the quarry was bought by John Wainwright & Co. which ran it as a subsidiary under the name Stoke Lane Quarry (1964) Ltd., which was incorporated on 13 May 1964. Stoke Lane Quarry was closed in 1978. In March 1985 the quarry was sold to Graham Cullen, who worked it intermittently until production finally ceased in 1993.