Initially referred to as “Mendip Basalt Quarry”, it was later called “Stoke Quarry”, but is often referred to as “Matthews Quarry”. It was established by Henry Matthews in the mid-1930s to work the It was in production by 1937, when it was recorded as employing seven men. In the 1960s Anglo-American Asphalte acquired the quarry, and operated it until it was sold to English China Clays (ECC) in 1979. In 1986 ECC sold the quarry to Wainwright. It now forms part of Wainwrights Moons Hill Quarry complex.
Sunnyhill Quarry was opened by the Mendip Granite & Asphalte Co. in 1904. It closed in 1909, but in February 1979 it was reopened by John Wainwright & Co. and now forms part of Wainwrigh'ts Moons Hill Quarry complex.
Vallis Quarries, near Frome, have been worked for lime-burning and roadstone for centuries. In 1893 they were acquired by the Somerset Quarry Company, which became part of Roads Reconstruction Ltd in the early 1930s. In 1940 it became the site of the processing plant for newly opened New Frome Quarry (now Whatley Quarry). In the 1960s all processing of stone from Whatley ceased, but nearby Hapsford Exchange sidings continued in use until 1974. A maintenance depot for lorries also remained in use until the early 1990s.
Vobster Quarry was established in the early 1870s by the Westbury Iron Company to work an outlier of Carboniferous Limestone on the north side of the Nettlebridge Valley. In 1903 it was sold to John Wainwright & Co., which operated the quarry until the end of 1933. From 1934 until its closure in 1966 it was operated by Roads Reconstruction, which re-equipped the quarry with new plant in the late 1930s. Following its closure the quarry flooded and it is now the Vobster Quarry diving centre.
In the late 1940s Limmer & Trinidad established a works to manufacture blocks of mastic asphalt at Wanstrow. The works had its own railway siding, originally intended to extend as far as the A361 but never completed (earthworks of a low embankment are visible in the field between the works and the road). The works replaced a smaller one at the company’s Barnclose Quarry at Leigh-on-Mendip, opened in the 1930s. When the Wanstrow works first opened it was intended to use stone from Limmer & Trinidad’s nearby Merehead Quarry, but the quality was found to be too poor. Instead, the company sold the quarry to Foster Yeoman Ltd and bought the stone they needed from Foster Yeoman’s Dulcote Quarry.
Westdown Quarry at Nunney was established in the 1940s by Bradgate Granite Quarries Ltd. By 1968 the quarry had been bought by the Redland group, which built a new plant area in the quarry. This included the third largest primary crusher in the Mendips (after Whatley and Merehead), a large concrete screen house and bins (which still survives) and a tarmacadam plant. In 1973 Redland and Hoveringham (owners of adjacent Asham Quarry) established a new joint company, RH Roadstone Ltd. to run Asham and Westdown as a single unit. , in 1985 the scheme was abandoned and the quarry was sold to ARC for £6.5 million. ARC had no need for the quarry, being in the process of redeveloping Whatley, and so stopped production within months.
Western Quarry at Leigh-on-Mendip was opened by local builder Edgar Padfield in the 1930s to work an outcrop of Oxwich Head Limestone for roadstone. It was acquired by Tarmac in the 1940s, which company was granted an IDO (L.40) by Frome Rural District Council on 12 April 1948. It is not known when the quarry ceased to be worked. The steeply sloping quarry face is covered with curved shallow depression created by trees in the Carboniferous period.
Whatley Quarry was established by Roads Reconstruction (1934) Ltd. following that company's purchase of land Mells in 1938. Originally called new Frome Quarry, it went into production in 1940. In the early years the stone was sent down a narrow gauge tramway (later converted to standard gauge) for processing at a purpose plant in Vallis Vale. In the 1960s new plant was erected in the quarry and Vallis operation closed down. In 1967 Roads Reconstruction merged with Amalgamated Roadstone Corporation (later Amey Roadstone Corporation). The quarry, which was officially renamed Whatley Quarry in 1987, is now operated by Hanson, which acquired ARC in 1989.